Ears get blocked after months even after regular cleaning. Permanent solution?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I clean my ears with a soft cotton towel and a finger EVERYDAY. But even then, my ears (both left and right) get blocked after some months. This happens regularly after some 6-7 months. When I try to clean them with cotton-ear-buds, lot of brown wax comes out but the ears get more blocked. Hearing gets lower. I use SOLIWAX drops in both the ears for 2-3 days. Then the ears open up. Sometimes even after 2-3 days they dont open and I have to visit an ENT doctor and he/she sucks out the wax. I want to know some permanent solution to this please.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The Externl Auditory Canal (EAC) is self cleansing.

2. Using ear buds pushes the ear wax deeper into the canal.

3. This is because ear wax or cerumen is produced only in the outer two thirds of the EAC. There is also a narrowing or isthmus beyond this point. Hence though part of the ear ax comes out with the ear buds, some gets inadvertently pushed further in.

4. Some people have EAC's that fail to self cleanse. You may use a homeopathic ear oil known as Mullein ear oil both as drops and to wet the era bud before using. If this oil or periodic use of Soliwax is ineffective, the best option is to get the ears examined by an ENT specialist and get them cleaned by syringing or suction clearance under a OPD microscope.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Ears get blocked after months even after regular cleaning. Permanent solution? 18 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply. It was very easy to understand and knowledgeable. I have been using Soliwax drops (5-7 drops) once a day, since last 2 days in each ear. But the chokage in the ears is not clearing as I would have liked. Please advise whether I should wait and keep using Soliwax or I should see an ENT and get them cleared through suction?

Secondly, I wanted to know if there is any permanent solution to this problem. If not, what steps should I take to prevent such situations in future?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get your ears examined qnd cleaned by an ENT Specialist.

2. Thereafter you may use a homeopathic ear oil known as Mullein ear oil regularly to prevent the wax build-up. You may also dip the ear buds into this oil instead of using them dry.

Regards.