Ears cannot bear cold. Get ear infection, running nose and tingling sound. Suggestion?

ENT Specialist
During summer, when i switch on fan in the night, i feel cold in my ears when i get up in the morning.Even my throat feels cold.
But, if i cover my ear with blanket while i sleep, i don't feel cold in my ears and throat.
And, If i sleep without fan on, then , i don't feel cold in my ears and throat. But, i feel hot and i also sweat little.

In winter, when i walk out of my house, i feel very cold in my ears.

So, i feel that my ears are not able to bear the cold.

i also get ear infections/fungus ocassionally,
ocassionally running nose,
my ears produce more wax,
i hear tingling sound sometimes.

Could you please let me know what is the reason for this?

Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX
First of all you must see that your nose is blocked or not.
If the nose remains blocked and you snore ----
Then it could be because that you breath by mouth while sleeping and your throat gets dry and you have the problem
in addition because the back of nose and ears are connected by a tube so you have ear problems too.(blocked sensation and hearing own voice louder etc.)
Also you must try to notice, if there is something trickling down the back of throat , that could be because of nasal blockage and infection.
for ears--Do you have ear infections again and again ? you have to get your ears checked by an ENT specialist to rule out ear drum perforation .
So if you have nasal problem then you have to get it checked and have to get done a "CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses plain coronal sections only" to rule out nasal disease causing these problems.
You can start with oral decongestant tablets and nasal decongestant drops (for few days) and nasal saline sprays and if required then nasal steroid sprays.

If you do not have nasal complaints then ----
You might be having dry nose .
Start with normal saline sprays . and ointment can be used .
Take care while driving a vehicle as dry air makes the nasal skin dry.
Take care to sleep with fan at your foot end.
Take care of reflux of food contents in stomach in night (which you may not be aware of as this occurs in night when asleep)--take antacid tablet after prescription and take precautions--
Keep head end of bed elevated.
Avoid alcohol, Smoking
Do brisk walking daily
Go for walk after dinner
Avoid spicy food     
Avoid late night coffee

Do not clean your ears .
God has made the ear canal such that it gets clean on its own but if you clean it then it may cause trauma and damage the normal skin and then the self cleaning function is lost.
In addition if you traumatize your ears then the chances of fungal infection rises.
take care that water does not enter your ears while taking bath.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help anytime.
Follow-up: Ears cannot bear cold. Get ear infection, running nose and tingling sound. Suggestion? 31 minutes later
Hi Dr. Abhiskek XXXXXXX

My nose is not blocked and i never snore.
I do not have blocked sensation and hearing own voice louder.
I do not feel trickling down the back of throat.

yes, ear gets infected again and again (around 6 months or more).
I don't drink and don't smoke.

thanks for your suggestion, i won't clean my ears.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 31 minutes later

That is good that you have replied soon.

Then you can start with normal saline sprays easily available at medical shops. and they are harmless too. They will wash your nose and keeps the nasal skin healthy.
Drink lots of water and eat citrus fruits and you can also also take multivitamins.

Get well soon.