Ears blocked especially in rainy season. Please advise

ENT Specialist
my ears get blocked, specially in the rainy season please advise
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 39 minutes later

Hello, I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. Ear infections are quite common in rainy season. As the environment is quite humid and even, a slight entry of water in ear canal prepares a good ground for the growth of fungus, (It is as if a piece of moist bread kept for some time in moist environment will develop fungal colonies over it).
In the same way, if there are some deposits in ear canal in rainy season the chances of colonization of fungus is quite common.

I would advise you

1. To keep your ears dry and avoid getting soaked in rain (Carrying Umbrella when you anticipate rainfall may help)
2. Ears can be cleaned at least once in a week with ear buds.
3. While talking a shower if you feel that some water has entered ear canal clean it with a ear bud soaked with spirit
4. Avoid swimming in infected swimming pool.

If you have a feeling of ear blockade despite above measures, it is advisable to a consult a ENT surgeon

Besides this, there can be some aberrations in the ear, which can contribute to recurrent infections in ear like meatal stenosis (narrow external auditory canal) or the patient has diabetes mellitus. At times diabetes may present as recurrent fungal infections of ear canal.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you need further information

With regards
Ravinder Sharma
Professor ENT