Early pregnancy, been taking clonazepam, fluoxetine since years. Is it safe during pregnancy?

HI my name is XXXXXXX and I am 5 weeks pregnant I have been on clonazepam, fluoxetine 40 mg olanzapine 2.5 mg and dothiepin 75 mg since last 4 year's and even now i am taking it. Is it safe to use it during pregnancy?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. You can ask your doctor to tailor the dose of the medications based on your current needs. Many people who take fluoxetine can decrease it to 20 mg a day after some months. However, it is a relatively safe medication. The dose of olanzapine you are taking is low, however, it may increase the blood sugar level and cause diabetes in pregnancy. So you should be checked for blood sugar periodically after consulting with your doctor. You should be assessed to see if there is any need to take clonazepam regularly. You may be fine with taking it on an just as needed base. You may also ask if you really need dothiepin at this time. In many cases there is no need to take fluoxetine (from the class of ssri) and dothiepin (from the class of tca) together. Let me know if you have any other question. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Early pregnancy, been taking clonazepam, fluoxetine since years. Is it safe during pregnancy? 39 minutes later
I want to know whether dothiepin and clonazepam may cause any defects in the fetus. However my doctor advised me to take the medication regularly without altering the dose. But I fear that these medication may be harmful at this stage of pregnancy. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, in most of the time there is no issue with taking them during pregnancy. It is also important not to change the dose of medications during pregnancy since it can affect the maternal health. You may ask for ultrasonography during the pregnancy in order to assess for any fetal abnormality as well. I am positive that you pass this pregnancy safely for you and your kid.