Early onset and sudden stopping of regular periods, dark brown discharge, lower abdomen pain. What could be the reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi - I am 27 years old female. I've been having regular periods every month, with no issues thus far. This month, my period started on 27th XXXXXXX (2 days before it should have started). My bleeding was fine the first day, but it suddenly stopped on the second day. On the third day, I had a dark brown discharge with some pain in the lower abdomen. Another background information is that the last time I had sex was 3 months ago (I've already had 3 cycles since then). I am looking to understand two things -- (a) Could the current issues with my period be related to pregnancy, i.e. is there any remote chance that I get pregnant 3 months (and 3 cycles) after having sex? (b) If pregnancy is ruled out, what could be the other potential problems that I should be worried about?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

according to your description,
a) as you got three menstrual periods after intercourse there is very less chance for pregnancy,
one rare possibility is that some woman even being pregnant show bleeding on expected date of periods for some months,
because of cyclical changes in endometrium and as in early pregnancy the uterine cavity will not be completely obliterated by gestational sac bleeding comes out.

b)having less bleeding during periods is called hypomenorrhea,
it can occur due to causes like,
-psychological excessive stress and strain which can affect hypothalamo pituitary axis,
-in conditions like poly cystic ovarian syndrome,
-excessive exercise, dieting etc which will lead to loss of body fat,
-usage of contraceptive pills,
-thyroid disorders etc,

so now you can consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination, ultrasound and hormonal profile for estrogen, progesterone, LH, FSH, prolactin, thyroid hormones etc which will,
-rule out pregnancy,
-find out the cause of hypomenorrhea
and depending on that treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Early onset and sudden stopping of regular periods, dark brown discharge, lower abdomen pain. What could be the reason? 8 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Sree. This is helpful. I'll get the pregnancy and the other tests done, and take it from there. I have two quick follow-up questions though:

1) If am really pregnant, does that mean that I am 3 months now? What other symptoms should I have shown in this case, or is there anything I should notice now?

2) If I just get a strip test (using a home kit) done, will that be reliable - particularly in my case of 3 months or so? I've heard that these strips can't be fully trusted.

And thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later
hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

once again I want to tell you that pregnancy in your case is rare possibility,
if at all pregnancy is there then you will be 3 months pregnancy.

symptoms of pregnancy vary with person to person,
general symptoms are,
morning sickness in the form of nausea, vomitings,
tiredness, easy fatiguability,
bloating sensation of abdomen,
heart burn due to gastritis, regurgitation of food etc,

signs generally seen are,
increased pigmentation of nipple and areola,
as you are around 3 months uterus can be just felt per abdomen or may not felt,
increased blood supply to local genital organs etc.

2)we can't relay on strip test at 3 months of pregnancy as hcg level decreases with increasing gestational age and strips cannot detect gestational age,
so better to go for ultrasound which will rule out presence of pregnancy and can also estimate gestational age if pregnancy is there.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Early onset and sudden stopping of regular periods, dark brown discharge, lower abdomen pain. What could be the reason? 12 hours later
Dr. Sree -- very much appreciate your detailed responses. I am extremely satisfied with your answers, and with Healthcare Magic services. Many thanks!

Am sure you've realized by now that am not keen to get pregnant, and that's why most of my questions are around that. So before I close this thread and start my tests, I have one last follow-up:

a) Is menstrual bleeding during pregnancy similar to bleeding during regular non-pregnancy periods, or are the two types of bleeding (in color, form etc.) generally different?

b) Until what gestational age is abortion considered safe? Are there other potential options to terminate pregnancy?

Thanks, as always. And I appreciate your time on my queries.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

a) normally bleeding during period dates in pregnant woman will be like spotting or minimal in quantity,
but in some women it may be like regular periods, so that they cannot realize that they are pregnant.

b)normally abortion is allowed up to 20 weeks,
up to 6 to 7 weeks it can be done as medical termination,
from 7 to 12 weeks medical and if needed procedures like D&C,
after that we can do as XXXXXXX labor with usage of prostaglandins and/or oxytocin or foley's induction etc.
we cannot certify any procedure as 100% safe, but with proper usage and careful monitoring most of the procedures will end safely.