Early identification for lewy body dementia?

Oct 2013

What if anything does the military have to do with lewy body dementia? My husband just died fromit after being dinosed wrong for the first five years.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
difficult for early identification, management

Detailed Answer:
hello dear
thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
lewy body dementia is a progressive, degenerative dementia of unknown etiology.
its progressive neurological disorder.
it not because of any infection or contagious thing.
so it has nothing to do with your husband working on military or some where else.
some genetic predilication is found in some families with specific gene muations.
it is very rare disease with overall incidence of 3.5 cases per 100,000 person-years.
there might have been delay in identifying disease because of its close proximity and similar presentation with alzemers or parkinson disease.
but there are some clinical features by which it can be differentiated from others like:
1 Fluctuations in cognitive function with varying levels of alertness and attention (eg, excessive daytime drowsiness despite adequate nighttime sleep or daytime sleep >2 hours, staring into space for long periods, episodes of disorganized speech)
2 Visual hallucinations
3 Parkinsonian motor features

Other symptoms that may alert clinicians to the diagnosis of DLB (vs Alzheimer disease) include the following:

Nonvisual hallucinations
Unexplained syncope
prognosis is quite poor even on medical management because of the nature of the disease.
hope i answered your query in detail.
if any query you can ask me follow up question or
direct question at
WWW.WWWW.WW regards
Follow-up: Early identification for lewy body dementia? 21 hours later
I just wanted to know about this because the V.A. didn't diagnose him correctlyfor 5 years We found this out when he was admitted to st. francis hospital 2 weeks before he died. Thank Y0u very much.
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 53 minutes later

I understand your concern. But it is difficult to diagnose a patient with lewy body dementia as features are subtle and overlaping with other forms. Moreover this form of dementia is quite rare and difficult for any one to come to diagnosis.

It would have been important and helpful to identify other associated conditions that might be directly responsible for his demise.