Earlier taken antibiotics for skin infection. Have yellow sputum. Done TLC and ESR level test. Meaning of results?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi, I just got tested for my TLC and ESR levels My TLC is 13.7 and My ESR is 31. few days back I had some skin infection which has been treated with antibiotics. However I sometimes throw out yellow sputum (I am a heavy smoker). I feel absolutely fine and never had any fever in years. What does these results mean?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hello XXXX,
You have posted results of your 2 blood test for analysis.
Your first blood test that is total leukocyte count commonly called as TLC is slightly increased and normal values are between 4 to 11 billion cells/L. Your having a TLC of 13.7 billions/l, which is increased.
Your second blood result ESR is also increased. Normal for your age is up to 20mm/hr.
The increased in TLC is called as leukocytosis and it may be due to;
Anaemia, infectious disease, inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or allergy, sever emotional or physical stress, tissue damage like burns and leukemia that is blood cancer. There are certain drugs intake also increase TLC.
ESR is increased in certain conditions like infectious disease and autoimmune disease. But this ESR is not used to diagnose any disease but once disease is diagnosed, it is mainly used to monitor the disease. Its value is affected if the patient is having disease like anaemia, diabetes and heart disease.
You do not have any symptoms or fever but you’re a very heavy smoker and smoking induces chronic inflammatory changes in lungs which can increase both your TLC and ESR.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Dr Sadiq.