Earlier done surgical abortion. Want another abortion. Effect on fertility?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Im very worried. I had a vacum surgical abortion six months ago at the end of the first trimester.
Now even though I planned this pregnancy because I feel sad after the abortion I am not ready. I wish to have another abortion surgically. The medication abortion is not for me because it take too long.

what will happen to my fertility as a result of two abortions in six months? my uterius lining will be destroyed so thin or my cervix incapacitated for next pregnancies? Am I more likely to get scarring of the uterius? I am very ashamed do not judge i have no money and boyfriend left. thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 22 minutes later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Having repeated abortion voluntarily is not good for the reproductive health of the woman.

2) You have possibilty of harming lining of the uterus, cervical injury and also complications associated with procedure during evacuation itself.

3) these injury if occur do have possibility of harming the fertility if there is injury to uterus.

4) Kindly consider the risks associated before contemplating abortions frequently.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Earlier done surgical abortion. Want another abortion. Effect on fertility? 3 hours later
Does having a second abortion have the same risks as the first one or are there more risks the second time?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

The risk increases with each abortion. The damage to uterine lining is more. Hence each abortion increases the chances of uterine damage more and more each time.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Earlier done surgical abortion. Want another abortion. Effect on fertility? 1 hour later
Is this true when the abortion is a suction type with no curetteing?
My doctors don't use sharp curetteing.

What about methotrexate? Does it harm ovarian reserve?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 42 minutes later

Even Suction is not good. Moreover many doctors use curette at the end of suction just to make sure that all products are reoved.

Methtrexate is generally used to treat ectopic pregnancy in very early stage. You need to get serum beta hCG test and a transvaginal ultrasound to check feasibility for methotrexate. Methotreaxate is a toxic drug which might affect ovary also. Discuss the option of this with your doctor if they are used to giving it as many doctors dont.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol