Ear suddenly feels plugged and there is yellow discharge, very painful. What could this mean?

My ear suddenly feels plugged and there is yellow discharge coming from my ear and it is very painful
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 42 minutes later

Thanks for submitting the question.

The symptoms of fullness of ears, pain and yellow discharge is suggestive of inflammation of ear – outer/middle ear. It may have been precipitated by:
Infection of outer ear canal; presence of wax.
A bout of upper respiratory tract infection
Infection in middle ear; perforation of ear drum from injury, due to loud noise, pressure difference as in airplanes, etc.

The condition warrants medical attention at the earliest. You will need good antibiotics both oral and topical. I recommend you to see an ENT surgeon at the earliest.

In the meantime avoid probing your ear, do not put anything in your ear, keep the clean and dry and while bathing plug your ears with cotton soaked in some oil. Some anti-inflammatory analgesics like advil twice a day can be beneficial till you consult your doctor

Hope this answers your query. In case you have additional query, you are welcome to post them here.

Wish you good and speedy recovery.

Best Regards