Ear started bleeding. Hurts while using ear drops. Deviated septum surgery to be done. Is this normal?

Hi I just went to the dr. And he cleaned my ear but now it's bleeding .he gave me ear drops antibiotic... But now it hurts when I use them. I also have a deviated septum waiting for surgery ... Is it normal to bleed? I've been suffering with sinusitis for a long time waiti g for surgery
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 hours later

From the details that you have given, it seems that your purpose of visiting your doctor was to clean the blocked ear may be due to wax or some infection.

When ever there is some hard wax gets impacted or some infection there is always some congestion in ear. When ever this impacted wax is removed by any means it leaves a raw area behind which at times can bleed.

As your doctor has prescribed antibiotic drops there might be some infection also.

I do not see any reason for worry if the amount of bleed is small and infrequent.

The discomfort that you are having after putting drops is again due to that raw area inside.

Please continue drops as advised.

Please consult your doctor again if you have

1. Continuous bleeding
2. Severe pain warranting use of analgesics

Please keep regular follow up with your doctor, do as per his advice and go for surgery as per plan.

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.

Follow-up: Ear started bleeding. Hurts while using ear drops. Deviated septum surgery to be done. Is this normal? 15 hours later
Hi again ! Just wondering if my ear muffles due to the grinding of my teeth ? I have a TMJ problem also . So one side seems to hurt occasionally .
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Any problem related to ear like wax impaction, infection, sinus infection, cold etc.can lead to blockage of Eustachian tube, the tube connecting middle ear and nasal cavity can lead to muffling in ear.

Means your problem and muffling in ear are related. With the condition in ear improves it should go.

I hope this clarifies.