Ear rash, yellow, crusty. Other ear starting to break out.

my 5 year old son has a rash behind his ear starting to travel down his neck. It started as dry skin behind the year then it got wet looking and then yellow and crusty now it has broken into a rash down his neck,and now the other ear is starting to break out. please help!
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 35 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your child's history most probably implies to a condition called Rubella or German measles which is more common in children in the age group of 5 to 9 years. I advise you to take him to a proficient Pediatrician who after a comprehensive physical examination will confirm it. He/she might as well order virus culture and a blood test to detect the antibodies to corroborate with his/her clinical findings.

Rubella is a contagious viral infection, which starts as a mild fever with fine, pink rash that begins on the face or behind ears and quickly spreads to the neck, trunk and then the arms and legs, before disappearing in the same sequence. Treatment is usually not necessary as the nature of the infection is mild, only symptomatic management would suffice.

In the interim, encourage him to take adequate rest, drink plenty of fluids, and inform his school or child care provider regarding his infection status to prevent spreading of infection to other kids and your child getting re-infected. Give him Tylenol syrup to bring down his temperature and relief of body ache and do regular tepid sponging.

Hope I have answered the query put forward by you, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Ear rash, yellow, crusty. Other ear starting to break out. 44 minutes later
could this be from my son getting his immunizations last week?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back to me.

Rubella doesn't occur due to Immunization vaccine, but is due to a virus that's passed from person to person. It can spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes or it can spread by direct contact with an infected person's respiratory secretions, such as mucus or sputum.

May be somebody in his day care centre or school has passed on the infection to him by coming in close contact. A person with rubella is contagious from 10 days before the onset of the rash until about one to two weeks after the rash disappears. An infected person can spread the illness before realizing he or she has it.

Hope this clears your qualm.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.