Ear popped with severe pain, bleeding now. What must be done ?

My ear popped with severe pain associated with it. Now it's bleeding . What should I do?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 52 minutes later

I think you should seek medical attention at the earliest. This is not an emergency but still you need to see a doctor soon.

The possible reasons could be,

1. Inner ear infection which has lead to ear drum perforation and bleeding.
2. Boil or other infection in external ear, which might have bleed
3. Some injury to ear

You need to get your self examined by a doctor to look for the cause.

In mean time

>Do try to clean the ear from inside. Just wipe the external part with cotton and put a cotton plug in the outer side.
>Do not put any medication inside the ear.
> Take analgesic like Tylenol for pain or discomfort.

Proper management can only suggested by your doctor after examination.You may need a course of antibiotics for this.In case there is perforation of the ear drum the treatment depends upon the size and location of perforation.

Please consult a doctor.

I hope this helps.Please feel free to ask again in case you have some more query.