Ear pain, probably due to water during bathing or change in weather. Can you suggest any drops?

ENT Specialist
i am having pain right ear since two days
pain is not acute
i think it is due to some water intake during bathing and change in weather
can you suggest any drops
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The acute earache could be due to various reasons such as:
1. Swelling of the already impacted wax in the external auditory canal
2. Accumulation of fungal debris in the external auditory canal
3. Acute middle ear infection
4. Eustachian tube block

To describe in detail:
1. Sometimes, during the shower, water enters into the external auditory canal causing the already impacted wax to swell. The swelling of the wax exerts pressure over the external auditory canal causing pain.

2. Occasionally, due to the presence of moisture inside the external auditory canal fungus will grow. These fungal colonies nibble the underlying skin causing pain and blockage in the ear.

3. Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) catarrh is another condition wherein there is sudden blockage at the nasal end of the tube due to common cold, nasal allergy, etc., giving rise to pressure changes in the middle ear. The acute pressure changes in the middle ear gives rise to pain and blockage sensation.

It is very difficult to prescribe any particular ear drops on the net without examining, as the exact cause of your problem is not known. The treatment varies for each of the above conditions. Hence, I would suggest you to get your ears examined by a good ENT specialist and get treated for the same.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon