Ear pain, head beating inside head, taken Ciprofloxacin, get tonsil infection when sleeping in AC room

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I am suffering from fever from last one week. I was having severe cough and small fever. I took cough syrup and paracetamol, later without proper cure I went to gym, again cough started and I am having tonsil pblms pblms now. whenver I sleep under AC, I will get tonsil infection..Now my ears are getting pain and feeling like head is beating or something inside my head. Today I took ciprofloxacin 500..Pls advise is it happened bcs of Tonsil infection?
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 22 minutes later
Hi AAA
Do you have difficulty in swallowing?
Presence of cough, fever, and probably tonsil involvement suggest acute viral/ bacterial pharyngitis and involvement of ear indicates spread of infection up to middle ear.
Most of these infection are viral in origin and persist for 3-4 days and ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic. It wont work on viral infection.
Nasopharynx and middle ear are connected by eustachian tube and infection may spread up to middle ear.
You are getting headache because of same neural innervation of nasal mucosa and brain.
You should consult with physician and ENT surgeon and get thorough check up before taking any antibiotic randomly.
You should go for laryngosocpy for exact status of your throat.
You should go for throat swab with culture & sensitivity.
You may have strep throat infection.
You should also take complete antibiotic course (to prevent secondary bacterial infection), anti-inflammatory medicines.
You should also perform 3 times gargling with lukewarm water and pinch of salt.
Put your views also.
Take care,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Ear pain, head beating inside head, taken Ciprofloxacin, get tonsil infection when sleeping in AC room 9 minutes later

Hi Doctor,
Thank you so much for your reply!
I don't have difficulty to swallowing. I thought it happened because of bacterial infection..I was having cough, so I thought it will cure both..So for virus attach I have to take another medicine? Am worried to consult a doctor because of fear..How can I control this throat pblm except gargling in salty hoty water. Pls suggest me some remedies to avoid it further. Hope you never prescribe medicine through online..so I am not asking doctor..Once again thanks a lot doctor..

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
Hi AAAA
You should avoid cold drinks, oily and spicy food, sour edibles.
Viral infection has 3-4 days disease span after which it subsided spontaneously.
You should also take hot tea for clearance of your throat.
You should consult with physician and should take medicines on written prescription.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Ear pain, head beating inside head, taken Ciprofloxacin, get tonsil infection when sleeping in AC room 4 minutes later

Thank you so much for your help doctor.. It really helps me to take a decision to consult a doctor and take medicine as per his suggestion. I was taking medicine without any consultation always.

Thank a lot doctor for your lengthy answer on my queries. I am relaxed well and I was having much concern on it. Now relaxed well.
Thank you and see you again!

Take care...Bye..

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 minutes later
OK bye...
All the best.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava