Ear pain, eye jumping, numbness in back of head. Mouth curving to right when spitting. What is the problem?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
my left ear has been hurting for a coiuple of days. yesterday my left eye started jumping and back of my head behind my left ear started to feel (numb) i guess is the word not really hurting but uncomortable. This morning when brusing myh teeth, i noticed when i spit, by mouth seemed to curve to the right, What do you think is the problem?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through the history I do feel you could be having Bell's palsy.

Bell's palsy is a form of facial paralysis resulting from a dysfunction of the cranial nerve VII (the facial nerve). It is mainly idiopathic in origin the cause of which is not known. The other causes include viral infection, trauma, toxic exposures, or iatrogenic causes.

In your case, it could be of viral in origin wherein you had an ear infection earlier followed by facial nerve palsy. Do not worry! This is usually self limiting and resolves with symptomatic medicines and physiotherapy.

My advice to you is to consult a good ENT specialist at the earliest. Get a complete evaluation of the ear done to rule out any other causes of ear infection. A battery of test would be conducted to rule out any systemic infections followed by medications and physiotherapy. You will require oral steroids to reduce the inflammation of the facial nerve, pain killers to reduce the earache, vitamin B-complex and antiviral medicines if necessary.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Ear pain, eye jumping, numbness in back of head. Mouth curving to right when spitting. What is the problem? 30 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX thank you for your prompt and precise analysis. However, i went to the emergecy room and was given a scan of the head, ekg, xrays and blood work and was given the same information that you just told med. Also the meds that you mention were perscribed to me as well. I have a follow up with my dr tomorrow but the ER dr also mention an ENT. I admit I was sceptical about Health Care Magic but you have made a believer out of me. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon