Ear pain and nose blowing in a child. Taking sinarest. How can the ear pain be cured?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 2 and half year old son complains of ear pain and cried for a long time after nose blowing, he has severe cold too. He is having Sinarrest for the past 2 days, but still the cold is a bit severe. What to do for this ear pain?
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The pain in the ear while having cold is likely to be due to congestion in the inner ear. Blowing the nose causes the pressure changes which might result in pain.
In addition to using sinarest drops or spray in the nose you can give him steam inhalation.
Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Tell the child to inhale it by covering him with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
Mild pain killer like acetaminophen will also be of help.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting an ENT specialist to rule out inner ear infection would be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.