Ear itching, chapped lips, body rash. Negative for herpes. Had yeast infection. Could this be something other than yeast?

I am a 26 year old male. i am a professional athlete therefore spend a lot of time sweating and have recently been diagnosed with a yeast infection. my first infection was 6 months ago i self treated and it went away in acouple days it was an acute infection a couple months later i had another outbreak and it started to look identicle but got much worse, so i visited a fmily dr i was given a script and it went away within a week. this past fri morning i woke up and was with my genitals on fire and it covered every inch of them. I went straight to the dr and was givin the same script (diflucan) on the way home i noticed an itching behind my ear and severly chapped lip i took the meds and woke up this morning with not only the rash worse ( down there) but a rash spreading all over my entire upper boddy including my ribs, bicep, neck (both sides) around my eyes my forehead and nose. I visited the same doctor and they were just as confused as myself.
i was tested three times now for herpes to rule that out. could this be something other than yeast?
is there any way to prevent future infections
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later

Candidiasis is the commonest form of yeast infection seen in humans. It is an opportunistic infection and favors areas such as waist, groin and genitals due to presence of moisture.
However it is not so virulent infection which is known to spread widespread lesion over night.

Since your previous infections responded well to antifungal (Diflucan), your previous conditions are very likely to be a fungal infection, but based on your description – presence of itching behind the ears, chapped lips and rash spreading all over upper body, this condition is more likely an allergic condition (urticaria) with possible yeast infection over the groin.

A direct examination by a dermatologist will confirm the possibility. In the mean time you may try over the counter antihistamines such as benadryl which might improve your symptoms. Topical caladryl lotion may also benefit you.

Yeast infection is most often recurring problem. It is advisable to follow steps to prevent its recurrence. You might find the following modifications useful:
- Drink plenty of water;
- Always try to wipe yourself dry;
- You can also use a powder containing antifungal like diflucan

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good and speedy recovery.

Take care and Regards