Ear infection,itchiness,moist,soreness

I think i may have an ear infection. My ear constantly feels very itchy but when i clean it with a cotton swap there is nothing there but it feels moist. Now my ear is very sore especially when i push on it.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: Ear infection,itchiness,moist,soreness 30 minutes later
I do not have any allergies and no medical problems. I am 28 years ago, i weigh about 100 pounds.
The itchy ear has been happing for a couple of months now off an on. I have taken amoxcillin before and it did help but it's back again. I do clean my ear often. Right now it is still very itch, sore and feels like a numb sensation.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

The commonest cause itching in the ears is the dryness.

Either it is due to very less production of the ear wax or it is due to very frequent cleaning of the ear removing the natural wax necessary to hydrate the skin of the ear. Excessive use of earphones also causes this problem. Stop cleaning the ear yourself.

To have relief-
1. Schedule the appointments for ear cleaning, usually every 6 months.
2. Keep your ear dry (plug during showers) to avoid any fungal infections to grow inside.
3. Take TYLENOL tablet for the relief from soreness till then.

If these simple measures do not provide relief then your ear needs to be examined and a swab culture done to diagnose any infection.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Ear infection,itchiness,moist,soreness 40 minutes later
So you think it has nothing to do with with puncturing my ear? DO you think i should buy ear wax removal? Maybe i pushed the ear wax XXXXXXX into my ear? I do not use earphones.

How long do you think i should wait before i see a doctor? Do you think i should take antibiotics
Follow-up: Ear infection,itchiness,moist,soreness 8 minutes later
is there any home remedies or something is should buy for the dryness of the ear? Is it normal to be very sore, especially when you tough the ear. sorry with the questions im just being paranoid
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
Yes you can buy an ear wax removal. Also you can instill a few drops of oil meant for melting ear wax and moistening the ear at least once daily for a few days available OTC. Otherwise instilling a few drops of olive oil will also help.
Antibiotics are generally not needed in such cases. If you are not relieved after this in 7-10 days then you can consult your doctor to rule out any XXXXXXX seated infections inside.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Ear infection,itchiness,moist,soreness 10 hours later
I have one more question. Right now it feels like my ear is clog is that normal? Should i start right now with the ear wax removal? and the drops of oil is that the same thing or something different that i should buy? Thanks a lot for you help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If your ear feels like a clog you can start with wax removal. The oil is an alternative of wax removal but it provides better hydration for the external ear canal. Be careful not to scratch your ear as it may induce the infection.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.