Ear infection, irritation in ear plugs due to trapped swimming water, started with amoxicillin. What else should be taken?

Yes, thank you. I have what I think is out ear infection from trapped swimming water and irritation from ear plugs on Wed.
Have used neomycin & polymyxinB sulfates & hydrocortisone otic solution--couple years old. Also, have used an otic/swim ears solution, bit of alcohol, and bit of olive oil at spaced times. Which do you think I should continue with?
Also started with amoxicillin last night.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

At this point I would continue using the antibiotic solution with hydrocortisone. The only concern I have with this is that the solution is old. The older the solution be more likely that the antibiotic content might not be as effective. If you have the ability to see your doctor or obtain a new prescription this would be optimal for you. Amoxicillin would be reasonable to continue for a 10 day course.

Thank you again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns at this time.

Dr. Galamaga