Ear blockage, fluid drainage in throat, seizures. On keppra medication. Could ear plugging cause seizures?

ENT Specialist
I have developed a problem where my ears get plugged up and I have to open my mouth several times to get my ears to pop open. When I do this I can feel fluid draining down my throat. Lately I have developed seizures that they are treating with Keppra. I just wondered if the problem with my ears plugging could be causing the seizures.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The eustachian tube connects the middle ear to the nose and helps equalize middle ear air pressure with atmospheric air pressure. It also helps drain mucus from the middle ear. This tube is normally collapsed and opens during chewing, swallowing, yawning, Valsalva and other manoeuvres.

2. Eustachian Tube Dysfunction with a post nasal drip requires a few tests. Get your ear drums examined by a local ENT Specialist. The eardrums in eustachian tube dysfunction appear dull and retracted; sometimes a fluid level can be seen behind the eardrum, besides other subtle signs. get a pure tone audiogram (PTA) and an impedance audiogram (I/A) done. These tests detect any hearing loss or evidence of fluid or negative pressure in the middle ear.

3. Middle ear problems do not lead to seizures. However in the presence of seizures, you must get a CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) and an MRI Brain & Temporal Bones done. This would be important if one ear is worse than the other.

4. A Post nasal drip usually signifies nasal and sinus problems. Do you have any symptoms related to your nose and sinuses? Do you have any hearing loss? Do you have difficulty in understanding speech? Is there any dizziness?

5. Regular Steam inhalation, anti-allergic decongestants, mucolytics and steroid nasal sprays will help restore normal eustachian tube function.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.