ESR test result showed 162 mm/hour. Giving antibiotics. Cancer attack again. What do you suggest?

Hi Doctor,
Based on my Father's medical history mentioned below and the latest ESR test result which is around 162 mm/hour, do you think again the Cancer attacked. Is this ESR relates to that? Our Family Doctor is giving antibiotics for the frequently coming fever, however it doesn't seems to be working as permanent solution. What do you suggest now? Your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 28 hours later

You have not mentioned the type of lymphoma, this is important. Also the sites that were involved are not mentioned. As for the present condition, it may be due to recurrence of the cancer or infection. ESR may be elevated in both. However, persistent fever and body aches point more towards recurrence of cancer.

CT scans of chest and abdomen may rule out recurrence unless there are lymph glands felt elsewhere. A bone marrow examination may also be required.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.