ESR test result, have joint pain, breathlessness & eye redness, right eye inflammation. Concern?

my husband has got his esr done and the value is 28
is that serious he does not have any other problems,like joint pains or breathlesness
we went to eye doctor because of redishness in the eye .the doctors told that the left eye is clear and the right eye has very minimal inflamation.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

I would like to point it out to you that ESR is a non specific test and just points out an inflammatory process is happening in the body.
It is positive from cancer to infection like malaria and TB. What is important is in these conditions ESR will be in 100s.
In this particular condition, the ESR is mildly raised because of the eye infection.

The following advice can help your father have a speedy recovery
1. Avoid direct sun exposure and dust exposure
2. Avoid long hours in front of the TV and PC
3. Follow your ophthalmologist’s advice of antibiotics and moistening drops
4. Ample rest to eye with minimum 6 hours of sleep

I wish you good health. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries

Follow-up: ESR test result, have joint pain, breathlessness & eye redness, right eye inflammation. Concern? 48 minutes later
he has got his cbp test and chest x XXXXXXX done
all the reports are normal. even in the esr report the normal range is given as 0 to 30.but in the web sites it is showing 0 to 20. which is correct.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

Both are correct. Each lab will undergo standardization and the values are decided accordingly after that.
If your lab says 0 to 30 is normal, then ESR is normal.

0 to 30 is ideally taken as normal according to Indian books.

I hope, this answers your query. I wish your husband a speedy recovery

If there are no follow up queries kindly accept my answer

With regards.