ESR level of 14 months old baby is 24.1. What can be done?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
ESR LEVEL OF MY BABY 14 MONTHS OLD IS HIGH I.E. 24.1
PLEASE SUGEST ME WAHT TO DO
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Hi
Dont worry.
ESR is nonspecific marker of infection. It rises in many conditions other than infections like anemia,inflammation, worms, etc.
If your kid is having high grade fefever too, do consult your pediatrician for complete examination.
Just ESR alone increased without fever , do ask your doctor if your kid has any problems which cause high ear like the few examples I have quoted.
Hope I answered your query. Do let me know if you need any further clarifications. Do provide a short history of your kids illness too.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: ESR level of 14 months old baby is 24.1. What can be done? 17 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

Kindly please go thru with reports and advice waht further medicatin could help to improve this situaciton.

Looking forward for oyu rkind reply.

thanks
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arun 7 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing again.

I had gone through your reports. From what I can decipher, your kid has high white cell count esp lymphocytes and monocytes and eosinophils with high CRP.

Increase in lymphocytes and monocytes can happen in a variety of illness ranging from infections like worms, malaria, sometimes in tuberculosis. There are other causes too like any blood disorders, etc.

My suggestion would be to get her completely checked by a pediatrician before any medicines.

You can try deworming her, usually we give albendazole 200 mg single dose .
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: ESR level of 14 months old baby is 24.1. What can be done? 16 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your kind advice and i will consult the peditrician for the same.

thanks gain for your time.

Best regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
You are welcome.

Dr XXXXXXX