ELISA test for HIV. After how many weeks is the test conclusive?

Question
after 22 weeks ELISA test is conclusive.Some people suggest 20-22 weeks is almost 6 months.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query

The window period is what you are interested at here and i am assuming you are talking about the HIV virus. ELISA(Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay ) test is used in many other diseases as well for example in Infectious mononucleosis

The ELISA test has chances of coming as false negative within 3 months or 90 days from the time the virus has entered the body.

However ELISA is not considered as a 'conclusive' test, it is the western blot technique which is considered a 'gold standard' for the testing of the HIV, you can ask for this technique over ELISA while giving your blood sample

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know, i will be happy to assist.

Have a good day

Follow-up: ELISA test for HIV. After how many weeks is the test conclusive? 9 hours later
for conclusive result what i have to do then
When this is conclusive then?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Thanks for reverting back.

ELISA is a screening test which should be done approximately 3 months after the time of exposure. This is so because the test detects antibodies which take about 3 months to form. If this test is positive, a second confirmatory test called the Western blot is done, in order to confirm the diagnosis.

However, both prior and after the test, you must undergo proper counselling to educate you about different test results, their implications and the different methods available for preventing this infection.

I would suggest that you see your treating physician for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: ELISA test for HIV. After how many weeks is the test conclusive? 19 minutes later
Thanks ifor ans. one more query. please ans this too.
What if the test is negetive. we have to check again after 20-21 weeks?

Thanks for reverting.

In most of the cases (>99%) the antibodies form within 3 months and can be detected by ELISA carried out after that. Very rarely, it takes almost 6 months for the antibodies to form. So if you want, you can get a repeat after 6 months to be absolutely sure.

It is very important that you use appropriate precautions to prevent exposure to HIV in the future. This would include using a condom while having sexual intercourse, not abusing drugs and using only safe practices when indulging in activities like tattooing.

Additionally, it is also important that you inform your healthcare provider as soon as possible about any potential exposure that you might have. This will allow your treating physician to start a course of post exposure prophylaxis so that you don't contract the infection. However, since these drugs are not 100% effective, it is important that appropriate preventive measures be used.

Wish you good health
I hope I have answered your query. Please press the accept button if I have or write back to me for further queries

Follow-up: ELISA test for HIV. After how many weeks is the test conclusive? 29 minutes later
Thanks
I have done that 20 weeks after.
That was negetive.
so i have go for 6 moths test?
If that is also negetive so i am negetive?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 minutes later

Thanks for reverting

If you get a test done after 6 months and that is also negative then most certainly you are negative.

Please follow safe sex habits like using a condom, avoiding multiple sex partners, Intravenous drug abuse and so on.

In case you have any further exposure to HIV please report to your doctor immediately as he can administer HIV prophylaxis immediately. This post exposure prophylaxis should not be used as a replacement of the primary prevention techniques I have mentioned earlier.

I hope I have answered all your queries; please press the accept button if there are no more queries.

Wish you good health.