ELICA and ELISA test came negative after exposure to a sex worker. Why is my mouth sore now?

Dermatologist
Question
i had a hiv test after 7 month and it came non reactive after a exposure of sex worker on oct 11, by test of elica and elisa , i am having mouth sore form dec to april expect feb, my question why this mouth sore are comming like canker sore are coming do i test again for hiv, is any body have hiv positive after 7 th month of exposure

i am having the mouth sore form dec to april expect feb, when i have chicken and drink wiskhy and i will have lose motion at every month end and i take norflox tz after that i will have mouth sore like canker sore , and it will have a week after that it goes , to whom should i concern ,
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 59 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in

I can understand your concern and will try to help you.

What points I get from your history are
-unprotected sexual intercourse with sex worker
-negative ELISA for HIV test at 7 months after exposure
-Recurrent mouth sores
-history chicken pox
-history of recurrent diarrhoea

There is a rare chance of getting HIV ELISA positive after 7 months with earlier negative test.

The major criteria for HIV diagnosis are cough for >1month, diarrhoea >1month, unexplained fever >1month and unexplained weight loss >10% body weight

Also recurrent oral ulcers ,oral candidiasis , herpes zoster , chickenpox can be a manifestation of HIV.

-I would suggest that you undergo a ELISA for HIV three months after the last test date. Consult a dermatologist /physician for oral sores. These ulcers can be either apthous ulcers or herpetic ulcers. Get the correct treatment for diarrhoea after proper consultation and rule out other causes of persistent diarrhoea.

There is a very small but definite chance of HIV infection in your case. Please avoid such unprotected exposures in future .

If you have any further query, I will be available for follow up.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: ELICA and ELISA test came negative after exposure to a sex worker. Why is my mouth sore now? 8 hours later
thank you for replying . it was a protected sex , i have checked the condom and it was not leaked , only one day i have lose motion at every month end , when my stomach is heat due to eat chicken or drink acholol .then i take a norflox tz , i have checked up with the skin care they said stop using the norfloz tz

the mouth sore are coming on every 28 th of month and stays till 5th of mont that is one week , and it will go automatically ,with out any medicine.

i am a sales guy and recently i got high bp , i am taking to much stress and not able to sleep properly , i have increase the weight also.

so on nine months should i do the test again

there was no history chicken pox
-history of recurrent diarrhoea

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the details.

It is good to know that exposure was protected and you don't have persistent diarrhea or weight loss or chicken pox.

The oral sores may be due apthous ulcers which result due to excessive stress. Though the chance of HIV is very minor, I would still advise you to undergo ELISA for HIV at nine months just to rule out the chance completely.

I would suggest that you avoid stress, adopt a healthy life style, and have a good nutritious diet (with 5-6 servings of fruits and vegetables) which will help in oral ulcers.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: ELICA and ELISA test came negative after exposure to a sex worker. Why is my mouth sore now? 24 minutes later
thank you for replying dr.

i asked to the doctor he said after window period of XXXXXXX 6 month if the test are neagtive then you don't have to do the test you are safe ,

is there any test which show accurate result better than elisa. because on 7 th month i have tested by elica and elisa , both are negative ,
so After 7th month ther result are not conclusive.

nine month if i tested non reactive by elisa then it safe.

my dental dr given me the
XXXXXXX analgesic and antiseptic liquid gel
batadine mint gemicide gargle
chlor hexidine mouth wash
b complex
delphi l plus

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 minutes later
Hello AAAAA,

You have been given the correct treatment by your doctor. B complex tablets and antiseptic mouth wash will help in oral apthous ulcers.

Regarding HIV testing as discussed earlier, go through an ELISA test which is simple rapid and cheap. Other test like PCR, Western blot test are also available. But they are costly and not needed in your case. If you still want to undergo testing, Western blot is a confirmatory test.

Wishing you good health .

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: ELICA and ELISA test came negative after exposure to a sex worker. Why is my mouth sore now? 20 minutes later
sir one last question , above window period 6 month still there is a need to do the test are there are any chances of positive after 7 th month.

have you experience any patients above 7 th month got hiv positive

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 49 minutes later
Hi again,

I don't have any experience of patient getting positive after 6 months of initial negative report. But there are reports of patient getting positive after 1 year after exposure with negative report initially.

Hence to be absolutely sure, we advise 3 negative ELISA tests at interval of three months .

So to be sure an ELISA test at three months away is needed.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: ELICA and ELISA test came negative after exposure to a sex worker. Why is my mouth sore now? 5 days later
As per you r mail i have done he test through westen bolt and it came today negative ,

hiv -1 abs western bolt ( hiv confirmation) negative
hiv -2 abs western bolt abtigens Negative

Now i an hiv negative , should i again go for test as You said in previous mail . This Hiv test of western after 7 month .20 days after the exposure on oct 1oth 2011

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Its glad to know that you have tested negative for Western blot test.
The western test is highly reliable .
Negative test confirms negative status.
You need not test for HIV again and you are HIV negative surely.

Hope I have made myself clear.

DrSudarshan