EKG shows possible anteroseptal MI. Should I worry about it?

My chiropractor ran an ekg on me with an automatic machine and it says possible anteroseptal MI. He said not to worry and we would run another one next week. It could be the leads, or an old attack. I had a full cardiac workup 6 months ago including a stress test and passed everything with flying colors. Should I worry? Or just wait and see what the machine says next week.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 57 minutes later

Changes on an EKG could be due to an old attack, since you say you had a full cardiac work up 6 months back including a stress test which were normal.EKG changes can be of two types--changes of ischaemia and changes of infarct. The former can sometimes be normal, but the latter is always significant.

Sometimes there is a minor attack that gets compensated by new blood vessel formation in the heart which can explain your work up being normal 6 months back. What is important is to find out whether these changes were present 6 months back or not. If similar changes were absent six months back,any changes now should be taken as significant and you should have a regular work up again.So do find out if the changes are fresh or old.

Hope I answered your query.

Follow-up: EKG shows possible anteroseptal MI. Should I worry about it? 31 minutes later
I did go back in my test results and it looks like I have always had the prolonged QT. On this one is was 376/447, and that looks similar to my past ekgs. I do remember seeing that on a previous note and was told it wasn't a problem, it was normal for me. I am hypothyroid and have been told that could be the reason. Is the QT abnormality the thing that would cause the automated system to say MI?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
The prolonged QT can be due to hypothyroidism, but anteroseptal myocardial infarction does not cause a prolonged QT interval typically.
However, an automated system reports cannot replace an expert reading the EKG and I would suggest that you see your primary care physician for the same.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.