EGC done. Does BP medication shown an effect on ECG?

what effect does 50mg bp tablets show on the ecg chart? i dont want any of the tablets to affect my ecg report, what to do ? pls. advice
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 8 hours later

You have not written which bp tablet. Usually there are two tablets which are taken in the dose of 50 mg daily, one is Betblocker: Metolar, Atenolol and so on and other is Losartan.

B Blockers in this may (not in every case show): 1. Slower rate.. sinus bradycardia 2. Prolongation of QTc interval 3. Chronotropic insufficiency that is failure to heart rate to rise commensurate with the activity.
Losartan in this dose in most of the patient does not show any abnormality revealing that a person is taking a anti hypertensive drug.

You can name the drug in followup question and I can be more specific in my answer.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Follow-up: EGC done. Does BP medication shown an effect on ECG? 14 hours later
thanks for answering.
right now the tablets which i am having is MACSART 40mg for blood pressure and ROSUVAS 10 for reduction of colestrol. I will be attending my annual company medical test in next ten days. pls. advice for any change in this medication. And one more thing i am surviving on one kidney since a very long time so heavy dose is not possible for me.

pls. help
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later

Good of you to answer my query.

Macsart is the trade name and salt it contains is Telmisartan which is similar to the example we discussed losartan. It is angiotensin receptor blocker. It has no direct effect on EKG. By that I mean effects of EKG in Blood Pressure patient like Left Ventricular Hypertrophy may start diminishing after the drug has effectively controlled BP so that is bringing back the EKG to normal. However per se it does not produce any EKG changes.

The other drug Rosuvastatin is one of the commonly prescribed drug for lowering cholesterol. As such it does not have any effect direct or indirect on EKG.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any followup query please write, I will be happy to answer. Otherwise close the question and grade the service and you can give comments.

Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover