ECG test,mild abnormality,sleep problem,cold

I am in the medical stages of becoming a police officer and the health physician in charge of recruiting has written me a letter stating he wants me to redo my ECG, due to a mild abnormality. They say it is not a great concern but needs to be completed again. When I had my ECG, I had broken up with my girlfriend of 2 years the night prior, I was very tense, I was low on sleep and I was in the middle of a cold. Do you think these affects would of caused the abnormalities in my results of the ECG? The doctor performing my physical found me in excellent overall shape.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

ECG measures the rate and rhythm of the heart beat, size of the chambers and any myocardial damage. The readings can also alter due to muscle tremors if you are shivering, low body temperature, stress, heavy meals, smoking, alcohol and state of the mind.

If all the other tests are normal then possibility is there that the ECG might have been affected with your state of mind but would be better to rule out any myocardial abnormalities by getting a repeat ECG and further investigations like stress ECG and ECHO as advised by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts I am available for the follow ups.