ECG showed to have a left vascicular heart block. Is this serious?

I have just returned from a medical and my ECG show that I have a left vascicular heart block. Is this serious
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Dear Sir
1. I would like you to clarify if this is left anterior fascicular block (LAHB) or it is left posterior fascicular block (LPHB)? What other abnormalities it shows? What are your symptoms or problems?
I will be able to discuss in details, once you revert back with these details.
Waiting for your answer.
Follow-up: ECG showed to have a left vascicular heart block. Is this serious? 13 minutes later
Good question he simply said it was left cardio fascicular blockage, he said it was like the engine of a car where the power to the engine was being directed via a different route but the engine was till working. I hope that makes sense.

I suffer skipped heartbeat and have done so for many years. My last ECG was 13 years ago after a series of skipped heartbeat. Nothing was mentioned on the ECG at that time.

I hope this helps

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 24 minutes later
Dear Sir
Thanks for details.
There are two types of fascicular block as I mentioned above.
LAHB is more common, produces left axis deviation in ECG, and LPHB produces right axis deviation in ECG. LAHB is mostly a benign phenomenon but at times associated with a congenital heart disease (not likely in your case). LPHB may also be benign but at times is associated with "right bundle branch block" and is associated with lung diseases.
If Patient is totally asymptomatic, without any symptoms and there is no other ECG abnormality, these fascicular blocks do not carry much importance. In most case scenarios they are benign entities. They are themselves do not cause any trouble (as explained by your doctor) but they may be indicator of underlying diseases. We have to rely on examination of patient, other ECG findings and findings of x-ray chest and ECHO to get to that condition.
Skipped beats, when associated with a normal cardiac ultrasound and without any symptom to patient, do not warrant any further work-up or treatment.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: ECG showed to have a left vascicular heart block. Is this serious? 17 minutes later
Thank you

I am sure it was LAHB and I have no history of Heart Disease in my family so I feel much better. I will however speak with my GP to establish exactly what my condition is, but I am now more confident that it is not so serious.

Thank Again
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
You are welcome Sir.