ECG showed bifascicular block and left ventricular hypertrophy. Is this serious?

I had an ECg that show a bifascicular block and left ventricular hypertrophy How serious is this? and what are the treatments?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
If your previous EKG (done few weeks or months ago) had also shown this, it is not of much significance. But if it is only recent onset I would suggest the following: a). Review your BP drugs at times Beta Blockers like Metoprolol can be responsible. Your doctor will be happy to substitute it with some other drugs b). If you have any associated symptoms(any giddiness, blackout or pain chest on exertion) it is again an issue of concern but certainly not of panic. In the later event you will have to seek consultation of a cardiologist and perhaps you need a Holter examination, coronary angiography +/- elecrophysiology studies and possibly a pacemaker which is almost curative in worst case situation.
If you do not have symptoms, stop worrying and keep that EKG for record. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover