ECG report shows sinus tachycardia and inferior wall ischemia. Is ischemia serious? Next step?

General Surgeon
on my ECG report the cardiologist noted sinus tachycardia and inferior wall ischemia.

i want to understand whether the ischemia is serious and what is the next step to be taken. i am prescribed medicines metosartan 50 and amlogard for reducing BP and heart rate.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Ischemia in ECG means that you probably suffer from Ischeamic Heart Disease. This disease is caused by heart muscle ischeamia due to coronary artery disease. Blood delivers the oxygen throughout narrowed arteries and when there is a need of increased oxygen supply (during the exercise for example) the muscle gets ischeamic.
This condition may be XXXXXXX and may be life-treating too when arteries get completely stenosed. Without the oxygen, heart muscles becomes necrotic and heart stops working properly.
That is why your next step should be coronary Anigiography, cardiac stress test, 2D ECHO ultrasound. These tests determine the need for percutaneous coronary intervention or coronary artery bypass surgery.
Hope this will help
Feel free to ask further questions
Follow-up: ECG report shows sinus tachycardia and inferior wall ischemia. Is ischemia serious? Next step? 6 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
I had a 2D ECHO done at the same time as the ECG.
The 2D ECHO report said nothing about ischemia. All valve functions are reported as normal, ventricle size, wall thickness are normal, except for dilated Aortic root.
I will undergo the treadmill as advised, but I was told that the BP should be in normal range before doing the treadmill.
In the meanwhile can I begin brisk walking as an excercise for say 20 minutes to begin with and increase to say 30 to 40 minutes.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

As you are probably suffering from stable angina it is advisable to increase physical activity as it improves heart condition and activity tolerance. However this physical activity shouldn't be too intensive, and should not trigger chest pain (this is very important!). So answering your question, walking as an exercise should be fine, but you need to control your heart ischemia symptoms.

It is also very important to normalize your blood pressure (not only for stress test), as the hypertension accelerates arteries sclerosis. You should also take care about your cholesterol level, blood sugar level, avoid smoking, and have a healthy diet.

It is also advisable to use antiplatelet drug (mostly know as Aspirine) in dosage 75 mg per day. It should be used to the rest of your life.

Hope this will help. Let me know if you have further enquiries. If you have no more queries, please close this discussion.