ECG did not show aortic valve regurgitation, showed up during checkup. Reason?

Nov 2013

I hope you can answer my question because I am quite puzzled.

I have had aortic valve regurgitation for over 20 years and I get an echocardiogram every year which shows this. I recently had an echocardiogram which did not show this which I found quite odd. Last month I was in the hospital and the examining doctor had her stethoscope on my chest for quite a long time. I asked if there was a problem and she said the aortic valve regurgitation has become quite significant. She examined me again the next day and there was still a problem. What is going on. I don't know what to believe.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is quite puzzling, as the aortic regurgitation (AR) would not disappear without treatment (which is a surgery- doctor who did the echo either did not check for AR or forgot to mention it in the report. I suggest you get the echo re-done to clarify the matter.

Hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: ECG did not show aortic valve regurgitation, showed up during checkup. Reason? 21 minutes later

Thank you for your prompt response. I don't know if I will be able to get another echo again since I am only entitled to get one only once per year. If I can't, what recourse do I have in case I end up in the hospital again and now there really isn't any proof to rely on. How would I know if it is really getting worse, and if it is true that the AR is getting worse, what causes it to get worse so fast? I asked the ER doctor, but she skirted the issue. Do the symptoms I am having correlate with what is going on? I am under the care of a cardiologist and he is aware that I have AR all these years and all I know is that I don't feel well.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details.
At present, there is no need to worry. Your symptoms are related to aortic valve regurgitation. So, please follow the treatment as advised by your cardiologist. We do not expect any sudden worsening as you have had this condition for several years.
If your symptoms worsen, the doctor would definitely order for another echo.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM