EBV, ER, EKG, disoriented, tired, racing heart, hypokalemic

Question
I need to have a EBV lab results read for me, I have felt VERY odd as of late,(tired, racing heart feels like it is beating harder than normal) I have been disoriented as of late with kind of an out of it feeling.
No sore throat or pain in the spleen area but we had 2 patients last week with mono so I am hoping that is all it is.
I went to the ER on saturday when my heart was beating fast and an EKG was normal and labs revealed I was hypokalemic.
I sent some lab orders for myself and had it drawn yesterday with results today.
I am in PA school and was a paramedic for years but I have no idea how to read these correctly or if there is a separate mono test to confirm.

The results are as follows

EBV CAPSID IGG RESULT POSITIVE
EBNA IGG INDEX >8.0 H
EBNA IGG RESULT POSITIVE
EBV CAPSID IGM INDEX <0.2
EBV CAPSID IGM RESULT NEGATIVE

The other complete list of outside of reference range results are as follows:

GLUCOSE 107 mg/dL
ALB/GLOB RATIO 2.1
EBV CAPSID IgG INDEX >8.0
EBV CAPSID IgG RESULT POSITIVE
EBNA IgG INDEX >8.0
EBNA IGG RESULT POSITIVE

I am aware only a little can be done without a proper exam, but any thoughts would be welcome
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later

Thanks for your query

Let me apologise first for the delay in getting your answers.

Before I proceed further to interpret your results, I find it appropriate that you are informed of the following details.

1. EB virus infections are generally a self limiting infection and serious complications happening rarely (in less than 5% cases)
2. EB virus infection is one of the common infection in western countries. Few reports suggest that about more than 95% population in the western world are infected with EB virus.
3. The primary symptoms often go unrecognized as the symptoms consistently overlap with minor flu symptoms. A few develop clinical signs of the infection.

"In the absence of clinical signs, positive results are less significant.
Hence in this circumstances diagnosis should co relate with clinical equivalence."
Perhaps a clinician or Infectious disease specialist can assist you here.

Coming to the point, you are looking for interpretation of your reports.

Interpretations of serological findings allow EBV infection stage-specific diagnoses.
Accordingly positive EBV capsid IgG and EBNA IgG antibodies, in the absence of IgM antibodies indicated a past infection and NOT a recent infection. Hence I do associate the positive reports to the recent exposure as reported by you.

I would interested in knowing the type of test (immunoflorescent assay / Enzyme linked immunoassay or Westernblot technique) used while performing the test. Westernblot test results are confirmatory. I would also want to get the blood test for atypical lymphocytes.

Hope you find this answer informative. I will be available for follow ups.