E coli,digestive distress,diarrhea,probiotic supplement,appetite loss,fatigue

My mother is 68 years old, 5'2", 105# right now (her weight in recent years has held steady between 115# and 118#. She was hospitalized with E Coli last year, and while she has had bouts of digestive distress since being released, in recent months it has seemed like she was on the mend. She was still having issues with diarrhea and the like, and she saw a commercial for some sort of probiotic supplement. Apparently the whole diarrhea has settled down, but she has begun to suffer from a serious and pretty consistent lack of appetite and active revulsion at times regarding food, as well as cripplingly low levels of energy (sleeping 16-18 hours/day, sometimes). All she has in the way of health care is Medicare, and apparently where she lives doctors seem to be reluctant to take on patients with no supplementary coverage. I'm worried about her, and she's worried too, and I wonder what the first steps she could/should take to begin to get herself healthier again.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later

I presume your mother is not diabetic and she has no comorbid illness.

In an elderly lady with the described symptoms, one has to rule out -
1) Hypothyroidism - requires a fasting thyroid profile
2) Vitamin B12 / folvate defeciency - established by blood tests
3) Underlying malignancy; especially colon, stomach - good history, physical examination and endoscopic examinations are needed to diagnose malignancies.

I encourage you to consult a physician for further tests and advice.

Hope my answer is adequate. Should you have more concerns, I will be available for follow ups.