Dying of Myelofibrosis. Want to get palliative care. Suggestions?

Hi My friend is dying of Myelofibrosis. We want to get the palliative care right. He is a very individual individual and is reluctant to accept help. He is leaving hospital today, we are picking him up to take him home. he needed to be on a ward for this most most recent transfusion. His specialist has spoken to him about the need for palliative care. i guess I'm wanting to make this as easy as possible for him to die the way that he wishes.

Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Challenging issue

Detailed Answer:

There is really no easy way to do this and I commend you for working on this issue for your friend.

At end stages, myelofibrosis can be very debilitating.

Right now if this is the case - the focus on comfort and quality of life should be the focus. Hospice services are very uniquely equipped to handle this. If you have a local hospice service this might be something to explore.

I would recommend a patient approach - listen, go slowly and gather feedback. work on steering the discussion to the priority which is a realistic one - comfort and quality.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr Galamaga