During pregnancy diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, asked to heal itself. Now have shortness of breath. Suggest?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello, I am a 52 yro female, 19 years ago I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. I was told it would not heal itself, I was pregnant with my daughter at the time. After a couple of years of monitoring by a cardiologist, he told me that I was fine, go and have a great life. I am now experiencing extreme shortness of breath when climbing stairs or running a short distance or carrying heavy bags any distance. I walk a lot every day and I am not over weight. I wonder if this should be checked again?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Congenital Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you need to check your ECG and echo

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you need to check up. If you were be patient I would order an echocardiogram done first.

symptoms would be the first differential diagnosis that needs to be excluded. But looking at your age and co-morbid illnesses other possibilities include systemic Hypertension, Coronary artery disease, anaemia and so forth. It would be ideal to start with physical examination followed by an ECG, routine hematology and biochemistry, Echocardiogram and if appropriate a stress test. These tests should answer as to what is possible cause and guide for further evaluation and treatment.

I recommend that you see your doctor at the earliest and proceed with the aforementioned investigation.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarification.

Good luck!
Follow-up: During pregnancy diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, asked to heal itself. Now have shortness of breath. Suggest? 8 hours later
Dear Dr. Koregol,
Thank you for your reply. I have recently had the EKG, blood pressure and blood tests, all normal. I routinely have my thyroid checked, it is normal as well. Would Coronary artery disease or mitral valve prolapse show up on those tests?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally not

Detailed Answer:
If coronary artery disease has not produced heart attack it may not show up on ECG and changes produced by MVP can be very suttle. Please have echo and TMT done.