During ejaculation noticed pressure and had blood during urination. During masturbated had blood in semen. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Last night during intercourse with my wife, during ejaculation I noticed a bit of pressure. I didn't think anything of it as it's been almost 10 days since we'd had sex. However, this morning when I urinated after I got up, I noticed a small amount of blood come out. I went a drank two glasses of water and went to urinate shortly thereafter and I haven't had any blood in my urine after that. I decided to masturbate though and see if it was there. When I masturbated, there was a small amount of blood in my semen. Everything I've read, said that this can occur and usually goes away on its own. This is the first time this has ever happened.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.

Yes. It is commonly seen and usually isnt indicating aything serious in young people. It can happen because of microinjury of urethral wall or prostate during the ejaculation. Also, there could have been ureteral stone which passed and caused such small injruies. I dont think you need any treatment or diagnostic test at this point, but if you notice after 2 weeks again you should do urine and semen analysis to rule out some urinary and prostate infections, inflammations or some more serious diagnoses. Steroids can weaken immune system and it could be a reason for urinary infection. Also, try not to masturbate or have sex during these 2 weeks so that urinary tract wall can recover if there was some damage.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards