During blood test had difficulty in getting blood drops as it clotted before. Anything serious?

My son was doing a blood test where you prick your finger and put drops of blood on a card. He had difficulty getting more than a few drops out before it clotted. We repeated it after jumping up and down and waving his arms around. He had more, but it was difficult to get it done. Does this indicate a problem? He's 24.
Thanks. My email address is YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 29 minutes later
Hi There,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Your clinical description doesnt seems to be related to any problem.
The amount of blood that you get from a finger prick depends on the how deep the prick has been given to the finger.If the prick is superficial only,hardly you will get one drop of blood after squeezing,if the prick is some what deep you will get free flow of drops of blood.

So it doesnt indicate any clinical problem per se..

If he is having any pallor,then one thing that we suspect is anaemia. You better check haemoglobin percentage once ,so that your doubt will be clarified.

Hope you are clarified now. If you have any further queries let me know.
Follow-up: During blood test had difficulty in getting blood drops as it clotted before. Anything serious? 2 hours later
I took the same test. We used a provided lancet. I had a profuse flow in comparison and needed to stop it with pressure and gauze. We had to XXXXXXX him 3 times to fill in all the little circles with blood.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 11 hours later

Welcome back,

I can understand your concern. But what you described could be absolutely normal. If you wish to confirm, you can take him to a physician. He/she can look under his eyes (conjuctiva), mucous membranes and nails to look for features of pallor. Blood hemoglobin test is entailed.