Duration, course and diet while taking the Rabies injection

ENT Specialist
hi, my brother who is 27 years old used to play with one stray dog puppy. The dog died due to Rabbies on 29 Mar 2012. As a precautionry measure my brother took first ingection of Ravipuron 30 Mar 2012. Kindly please tell me after how much duration he should take other course of injection & what diet he should follow.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The post-exposure prophylaxis for Rabipur injections is 5 doses on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28, starting from 30th March 2012 (day 0). This means that the second dose was due today. He should take it tomorrow if he has not taken his second dose today. A sixth optional dose may be taken at day 90.

2. As long as there is no reaction to the Rabipur injections, he should complete the course. I am assuming that the puppy had confirmed rabies.

3. The rabies virus does not survive in oxygen. It usually survives in XXXXXXX puncture wounds such as bites. That is why rabid bite wounds are never sutured or bandaged. He should have washed his skin multiple times with a strong carbolic soap such as regular Lifebuoy soap. In your brothers case the risk is very low. At the most it is Class I exposure through a lick to skin or mucous membrane. If he has no external wound, even infected saliva would be safe to touch. However, dogs can have rough tongues that may cause a lick site to get infected. Sharp teeth or claws may damage a handler's skin.

4. The incubation period of rabies is unpredictable and varies from days to weeks to months to years. Since there is no cure for rabies, immunization is always advised.

5. If he gives a history of a bite, passive immunization with an anti rabies immunoglobulin may be given.

6. There is no specific diet required, however he may avoid non vegetarian food during the duration of the vaccination.

7. I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.