Duodenal biopsy done. Get sharp pain in duodenal area occasionally. Did I damage something?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi there

I'm 39 years old female.
On January 18th I had gastroscopy with duodenal biopsy.
Endoscopy results: "the esophagus and stomach macroscopically appeared normal. Duodenum also appeared normal".
Duodenum biopsy results: "fragments of duodenal mucosa with focal mild increase in intraepithelial lymphocytes with normal villous architecture".

12 days later I felt very short sharp pain, somewhere in duodenal area i.e. in right abdominal quadrant, in belly button level, or little bit lower, and just right of belly button.
Since then on and off I was feeling some sensation in that area or just light dull pain and occasionally short sharp pain - once per day or once in a few days.
I am scared that I they didn't damage something.

Last Thursday on April 25th I didn't sleep all night long. This time I felt all night dull sensation in right abdominal quadrant, and kind of tingling, slight pain or numbness in the lower right back area. Like my right leg is numb but actually it wasn't.
Especially I felt it when was lying on my left side in the bed or when I was sitting.
I had bowel movement that morning and it was pellet stool which I had for a couple of weeks.
I went to emergency. They did blood and urine test and abdominal and pelvic ultrasound, results were normal (negative) just small ovarian cyst in the left ovary. My pain is on the right.

Last night (Friday to Saturday) I didn't sleep all night again. Again I felt dull pain in right quadrant. Also some kind of tingling and numbness in the right lower back.
I had bowl movement (one medium size, hard) and notices bright red spots.
Also when I sit I feel more that something is going on, some pressure on lower right side of the abdomen, or at the back or maybe inside the colon close to anal hole.

Please advise

I am really worried what this can be and if can be cured

Thank you in advance

Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 40 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in
It seems you have been undergoing lot of stress

The symptoms are more of stress induced gastritis

No they would not have damaged anything during the endoscopy

The constipation can be managed with plenty of fluids orally and added fiber in diet

The red spots in stool need to be evaluated for some days if they persist go for a stool examination

As most of the reports are normal you need to reassure yourself

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Duodenal biopsy done. Get sharp pain in duodenal area occasionally. Did I damage something? 4 minutes later
I am worried since they only did ultrasound and blood/urine work and not x-ray.
Pls tell me if there is anything in intestines, can this be seen via ultrasound?
Right now I am feeling dull sensation/pain in the very low right back area, almost where is the last bone before anal hole.

thank you in advance

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 12 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for your followup

A Xray will help only if there is stone or obstruction of intestine

Ultrasound is better for most abdominal issues

A CT or MRI would be conclusive

But there seems no need for that

Just keep observing if there is anything unusual do write back
Hope this clears your doubts

Follow-up: Duodenal biopsy done. Get sharp pain in duodenal area occasionally. Did I damage something? 40 hours later
Thank you very much for your reply

Can you tell me please why then I am feeling this dull sensation/pain in right abdominal quadrant that can go to the lower back?
It's usually felt when I'm sitting or lying in the bed on the side.
What this can be?
No fever, didn't notice blood in the stool again, stool is mostly pellet stool.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your followup

It could be more of collitis that is causing the pain
I would suggest you start a probiotic twice a day for two to four weeks
Take adequate fiber and see if it helps
Else go for a stool examination and take antibiotic as per the culture report

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead