Duo HIV test came negative following exposure. How accurate is the test?

Question
Hi, I just had a duo HIV test after 10 weeks of exposures and the results is negative. How accurate is the test. Should do another one after 12 weeks of exposure. I live in the UK. Thank you
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 31 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you have mentioned in the medical history that you have received a cut from the shaver in public barber which have very less chances of causing HIV as it is not known whether it was contaminated or not however still the risk cannot be ignored

The standard protocol followed for modern HIV testing is as following.

Initial testing at 30 days then secondary testing at 3 months later which makes it 12 weeks. It is the time when mostly cases are detected. If at this time someone tests negative then there are more than 90% chances that the person is free of HIV. The third test is done after 6 months however very few cases have been reported positive at this time period. The modern HIV antibody test is highly accurate and very much specific. It is recommended to have final test on 12th week and if it come back negative which hopefully will be means you are safe :)

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Duo HIV test came negative following exposure. How accurate is the test? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. May be my question may look too simple, the event happened the 17th of January, can I do the 12 weeks tests tomorrow or should I wait after the 17th of April exactly? Thanks Basically, I made the test today. Am I worrying too much? Should I do a test next week again

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 10 minutes later
Its total a 2-3 days difference which doesn't matters. the window depends upon the week times and not on days. Its a sufficient for an HIV infection to develop antibodies. If you had test today then there is no need for any test next week. just follow the reports

Thanks