Dull pain in upper left chest shoulder and armpit. Hard to breathe. Could this be due to carrying heavy on left side?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This is very frustrating. Basically for the past couple of weeks ive been having dull pain sometimes sharp in my left side. It seems like it affects area of my left upper chest sholder armpit and shoulder blade. Also seems like its hard for me to breath sometimes. Im a healthy 21 year old female. My question is; could this all be due to carrying very heavy bad over my left shoulder?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be due carrying of heavy bag

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your history and complains yes such kind of pain can due to compression of nerve and muscle sprain due lifting of heavy bag on shoulder.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x XXXXXXX spine to see for severity of nerve compression.
Another differential can be nerve compression due to disc bulge which may need MRI for confirmation.

Medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.
You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.
You may need to take rest for early healing.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises.
Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.