Dull pain in glands in neck, gets dizzy when I touch it. What is it ?

I have had coming on going dull pain in glands in neck either right or left side and when i touch it i get real dizzy. Small lump and not serious pain- but almost pass out if i put any pressure on it. IT may go away for a day but will return the next day. I have been maintaining good dental hygiene. Had this in the past, but it would last a few days and not return for months. This time it has lasted over a month on and off. No other direct symptoms that I know of. I am a smoker
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Persistent and recurrent lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy. So it is best to rule out infections first and then move on to investigate other causes of swollen lymph node.
Since pressing on the swelling causes dizziness it suggests that it is of considerable size and needs to be investigated.
For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as swollen neck glands are often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases.

With a history of smoking, a thorough examination of oral cavity by your dentist will also help in identifying any oral ulcers.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.