Ask a Urologist   »  

Dull pain between anus and scrotum, feels like inflammation, taken Bactrum, history of prostatitis

Question
I have been having a dull pain between my anus and my scrotum, hard to locate, but I have had this before. It feels like inflammation, and I have been treated for prostatitis at least once a year since 2009. I am 35 years old and this dull pain just sits there. I am worried, but I really think it is prostatitis again. I was treated with Bactrum (antibiotic) and it went away. I have been feeling this pain for about 10 days or so, and it is still dull, but fluctuates in intensity, but it is not unbearable. Thoughts?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Pain between the anus and scrotum which is XXXXXXX inside is most likely because of an infection. The most likely causes can be -
1. Prostatitits- infection of the prostate gland. This is the most likely possibility as there is a history of earlier infection.
2. Perianal abscess- A collection of pus XXXXXXX in the perianal area also causes a dull aching pain.
3. Muscular injury incurred to the area or inflammation- usually associated with a history of injury to the area.
To find out the exact cause you need to get a semen culture sensitivity test and prostatic secretions examined. Antibiotics are needed if it actually is due to infection.
I encourage you to visit a urologist for the proper investigations and further treatment.
Meanwhile you can sit in a tub of warm water to ease the pain and inflammation. Over the counter mild pain killers like ibuprofen will also help to reduce the inflammation.
Hope my answer is adequate. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.     

Follow-up: Dull pain between anus and scrotum, feels like inflammation, taken Bactrum, history of prostatitis 1 hour later
Thank you SO much for easing my concerns. I was thinking it might be something worse, so your answer made me feel much better. I was curious, I heard it was normal for most men to have some type of prostate issue, and I was curious what the probabilities are for someone like me who has had 3 instances with prostatitis if this can become a chronic thing. Is Chronic Prostatitis unusual or should it be something I need to be concerned about? It's true this can be treated with antibiotics?

Do you recommend a sitz bath for my ease of pain? Thanks again for your thorough answer and I look forward to this follow up. That means a lot!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Chronic prostatitis is not something very serious but dull pain can sometimes be frustrating. It is easily treated with antibiotics. Sitz bath will ease the pain and reduce the inflammation.

Culture and sensitivity of expressed prostatic secretions is required to know if it is inflammatory or non inflammatory type. You require antibiotic and alpha blockers for longer period of time, 6 to 12 weeks.

You should check with your doctor with this recommendation.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.