Dull pain below ribs, acid reflux, musculoskeletal pain, rib fracture

i have a pain, ( dull ake ) just blow my right rib starting at the first rib that has a sharp point on it, it gose from there to almost the same place on the other side. If i sit bent over gust a little i can push my fingers under it and pull it up over the ribs untell it pops back with a thump. I also have a lot of stomach acid that i have bin treating with baking soda and water. this all started in aug of 2010 but has not gotten any worse.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 hours later

The description of the popping rib might be due to musculoskeletal pain arising at the junction of the costochondral junction of the ribcage. In case of mild and tolerable pain this could be a benign pain which will soon subside on its own. OTC pain killers like ibuprofen might be helpful to relieve them.

If the pain is very severe and intolerable, then you might benefit by getting a X XXXXXXX of your chest, to rule out any rib fracture. And in such cases prescription analgesics might be useful.

Secondly, the symptoms due to increased gastric acid production and reflux disorder can be reduced by following the few tips mentioned below.

1. Change and develop good dietary habits including, eating several small meals daily.

2. Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods.
Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods.
Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking.
Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates),
Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.

3. Adopt proper posture.

4. Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.

5. Maintaining adequate hydration.

6. Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

7. Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.

8. In addition, using OTC antacids (tums, mylanta, maalox) and Omeprazole (acid reducer) will also help the symptoms due to gastric acidity.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.