Dull, aching, persistent pain below ribcage, bloating, distended stomach, have chills. Underlying cause?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
I have very dull, aching, persistent pain directly below my rib cage. The pain worsens after eating and I can only eat a small amount of food and have a bloated feeling, almost looks as if my stomach is distended. I had this exact sensation three weeks ago and made myself throw up to relieve the pressure, but the pain persisted. My lower right back also has pain. I cannot sleep due to the stomach pain and have chills. I had the sensation of thinking I was going to have a heart attack (though I'm sure my heart is fine). Do you have suggestions as to what is causing my extreme discomfort? Last time I almost went to the ER; I'm not to that pain level this time... yet.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 minutes later
It is possible that you have acute gastritis/ulcer or gastroesophageal reflux disease.

You need definitely a consult and possible endoscopy.
Or if you can not go for endoscopy due to some reason, you need to be put on antacids and observe.

All the symptoms you describe are very typical of gastric problem
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Dull, aching, persistent pain below ribcage, bloating, distended stomach, have chills. Underlying cause? 2 minutes later
Could it be pancreatitis or gallbladder? Cancer?

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Pancreatitis is more acute illness.- unlikely!
Serum amylase is done to check for it.

Gall bladder pain can mimic gastric problems.
More on the right side below the ribs.
Checked by ultrasound.

Cancer! One can not say without investigations.
Pl go for check up.

Good luck
Dr Uma

Follow-up: Dull, aching, persistent pain below ribcage, bloating, distended stomach, have chills. Underlying cause? 6 minutes later
One more question,
Do you think this is more stomach, esophagus, duodenum or gallbladder related?
Thank you!
.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
From your description of symptoms I am more in favour of stomach,oesophagus and duodenum.

Bye
Dr uma