Dull ache in the right side of back. Could this be a kidney issue?

Dear Doctor: I'm 52 years old, a bit overweight but tall, athletic, 6'2 225lbs, i've had no pains in my body or back my entire life however in the last week, i'm feeling a dull ache in the right side of my back, it goes away after 30 or so minutes after I wake up although seems to linger a bit more. Do you know what the issue is or could be, I'm told it could be a kidney issue..?

Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
There could be multiple reasons for what you are suffering but the common ones are:
1) Odd posture in sleeping leading to sprain in the muscle of back. This is very trivial but very common. Sleep on a firm surface and try hot fomentation of the back.
2) Compression of nerve roots.
Many times there is compression of nerve roots. This compression can cause the kind of pain that you are describing. An X-ray of the spine or the MRI of the spine can help in clarifying. Physiotherapy exercise can help in curing such pains.
3) Kidney issues
Yes you are right in what you have suggested. Kidney issues can cause such dull aching pain in the back and loin and the most common cause is a calculi (stone). This will require a USG of abdomen and if there is any stone then the same will be detected. If the stone is small, taking excess water is what you will require. However if its large then endoscopic removal will be required.
In short you will have to get investigated by doing a USG abdomen, a X-ray of the back and a urine microscopy.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.