Dull ache in lungs, quit smoking, done X-ray. Cancer?

I am 35 and have a dull ache in my right lung sometimes the left as well. I quit smoking about 10 cigarettes a day, but it still persists. I had an x-ray done with no signs of anything. What could it be? I dread it being the big C...
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     35 year old male.
•     Complaints of: Dull pain right lung > left lung.
•     Worry related to lung cancer.
•     Stopped smoking.

It is good that you have stopped smoking. It will decrease chances of developing cardiac illness, emphysema, lung cancer and several other illness in future.

Points favouring cancer in your case:
•     Smoking.
Points against cancer in your case:
•     Young age.
•     No other symptom apart from lung pain.
•     Pain: cancerous growth are usually painless.
•     Normal X Ray: in cancer calcifications are present usually.

So overall there is very little chance for having lung cancer in your case. If you are not re assured then you can go for sputum examination for malignant cells and CT scan of chest after your physician advice.

About final cause it difficult to tell definitely but following are possibilities:
•     Muscle spasm due to bad posture.
•     Stress and anxiety: as it can lead to muscle spasm and pain. From your query also it is clear that you are worrying, which is a symptom of anxiety.

Following measures will help in treatment:
•     Do not smoke again.
•     Pain killers like analgesics.
•     Healthy food with juice.
•     Daily Walking, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercise: It will help in stress and anxiety reduction.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.