Dull ache in calf, heaviness and tingling, injured knee. Can there be a posibility of blood clot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, about 2 weeks ago I injured my knee (not sure if that is relevant but wanted to mention it). Beginning yesterday I started having a dull ache in my calf, and today I have a feeling of heaviness and tingling in the calf. I am a little concerned about the possibility of a blood clot?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A dull ache in the calf with a feeling of heaviness and tingling without any visible swelling is not likely to be related to a blood clot.
The various possibilities are-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild symptoms.

2. Prolonged intake of hormonal therapy like oral pills or HRT might cause this.

3. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.

4. XXXXXXX vein thrombosis- comes last among the list of probable diagnosis.

You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.