Dull ache down the arms,neck,right shoulders,sensation in arms since 3 months

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi ive had a wierd dull ache down my arms for about 3 months now, mainly my right arm, i can only describe it as like a toothache feeling! sometimes it affects my neck and right sholder too, bt the sensation in my arms is my main worry? i am 39 yr old female, fit dnt smoke eat well etc,... my friend frightened me saying bone tumors start in ur arm and can also be ur heart? im so worried and to frightened to go to the doctors pls help me? x
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 2 hours later

Thank you for your query
XXXXXXX you needn't worry as your symptoms are suggestive of Cervical spondylosis. Its a condition which is common among females of your age group. The condition affects the bone in your neck (spine) and also the nerves which supply your arm. There's a tendency for this to recur again as its a permanent condition. It can be confirmed by doing an Xray of your neck.

First of all you need to relax and not worry about tumors. Its not so common for your age group. Heart problems cause pain in the Left Shoulder.

Here's the remedy:
- try doing simple exercises for your neck and continue it always. A physiotherapist will help you with this.
- The problem with most of the patients is discontinuation of exercises, so please continue it for years.
- Have Vitamin B6 and B12 prescribed. These will protect your affected nerves.
- At times, when the pain is unbearable, have prescribed analgesics and apply counter irritant spray or cream.
- You need to visit an Orthopaedician or a spine surgeon at the earliest if you notice weakness in any part of your arm or have severe pain.

Don't worry, be patient, continue exercises for 6 weeks. If the pain doesn't subside consult an Orthopaedician as you would need a physical evaluation.

Hope i have answered your queries. I will get back to you for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Dull ache down the arms,neck,right shoulders,sensation in arms since 3 months 27 hours later
hi thankyou think you have eased my anxiety a little, i have had the dull ache at the top of my right arm for most of today! and like a knumb feeling in my right hand? it seems to be taking over im taking ibrufen but dnt really seem to do anything, i do sleep and i eat well! but im fiding im feeling sickly too! i have had no neck pain today just the ache im my arm pls help!! stil really worried!
many thanks x
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 11 hours later

Thanks again,

Smile please!! You need to calm down. You don't have a grave disorder as mentioned by your friends.

As I said, its very common among females of your age group. The arm pain should subside as you start having those Vitamin B capsules I suggested. It might take sometime to settle down though.

If its bothering you much, perhaps consulting an Ortho doc / Spine surgeon may be very useful. A physical examination and Xray of your spine will clear the diagnosis. Analgesics should help for the time being.

Hope my answers are helpful to you. I am available to help you if you still are worried.